Friday, January 23, 2009

To Age Like a Fine Wine

As we may all have learned in Biology class, certain animals shed their skin, leaving delicate shells of their body behind. Also, as we may have been told by our elders, as you get older, people in your life will drop like flies. This may arise from a more keen sense of self and stronger dependence on self-reliance or these people who were once so close may even voluntarily slip away. Either way, in the past 6 months for the first time in my life, I have shed, not skin, but people. And just like the reptile who slithers out of the old and into the new, I don't look behind with regrets anymore.


Call it self-preservation.

One pattern or trend that has always been apparent, is the potential for grave disappointment when placing ones eggs in the hands of another. Whether those eggs hatch feelings, secrets or any other vulnerability, those people close to us are entrusted with such personal treasures. I can't afford to have another egg break on another's accord.

With no regrets I take the next step -- for fear the regret may hatch a poison to my soul. In accordance with these natural laws I must live, and one day I will see the merit. I fully anticipate my wisdom at 40 or 50, even 35 years old.

In this 26 year old frame, perhaps I do have one regret: that it has to be this way.

Until then,
SydVicious

No comments: